Mastery Work #1: “12 Angry Men” Character Study
Characterization is the literary technique a writer uses to develop a character. That is, characterization is how a writer reveals what kind of person the character is to the reader. Writers do this by having the character speak, exposing the character’s thoughts, having other characters react to the character, displaying the character’s actions, and showing the character’s physical appearance (STEAL).
- make a claim about one of the character’s traits in a topic sentence. Be thoughtful and creative with your judgement and your diction! (T)
- give at least 2 text-based examples of where the author reveals that trait within the novel (be sure to give context). (E)
- explain what each of those quotes reveal about the character. (E)
- analyze how the author developed the character, and why this is important for the story. (A)
- contain no errors in spelling or grammar.
Rough Draft of the 5 TE/EA paragraphs is due Monday 11/7
( You will be working on your voir dire cover sheet in class during the week of 11/7.)
*Final Draft of all five (REVISED!!) TE/EA paragraphs w/Cover Sheet is due on Monday 11/14*
10th grade Law & Literature
Through a mix of fiction and non-fiction texts as well as discussion and writing, students will explore the social and ethical questions of making and enforcing laws.