Preparation for MW#2:
1) Be watching the news/reviewing big news events and public figures from this past year.
2) Identify 3 -4 incidents or people that you can connect to the themes, conflicts, or figures in Antigone. Jot down a few notes about each connection on your assignment sheet.
3) Select the two strongest connections you made, and draft a THESIS statement (remember, position + "road map") for each.
** Remember! 4th Book Review is due in mid-January. Be reading a good book over the break so you have something to write about!
Rest well. See you in 2016!
Write one well-developed TE/EA structure paragraph that discusses the theme and use of literary devices in the poem you memorized for poetry out loud over the last few weeks.
Two possible ways to organize your ideas within TE/EA structure, with example paragraphs:
Completed TE/EA structure paragraph is DUE Monday 12/21 (hand-written OR typed okay).
Make sure to include title and author of the poem, literary devices used in the poem, and discussion of central idea/theme. Edit your work carefully!
12 point homework grade
"Final draft" performances of your poem recitation will be in class on Monday, 12/14.
Be sure to have your poem fully memorized and use your tone map and feedback from your peers to polish your performance!
SAVE THE DATE! Wednesday 12/16 5pm - 7pm @ Outpost Cafe: the school-wide competition!
1) The first big chunk of your poem needs to be memorized for Monday. By class on Monday, you should be able to recite the title, author, and first 8 - 10 lines of your poem from memory.
2) You also need to complete a TONE MAP for your poem. Bring a copy of your poem that is annotated for tone, a plan for how you will convey meaning when you recite your poem.
See below for an example...
DUE Monday 12/7 (10 point homework grade)
Click HERE for the whole Poetry Out Loud assignment.