Please take the following course survey in order to give us feedback on how our brand new ELA Foundations course has been for you! You will need to log on with your HSPS email to show you are one of my students, but your feedback will remain anonymous.
Click HERE to begin!
FORMAT OF FINAL EXAM, January 2017:
9th grade ELA FOUNDATIONS:
CONTENT YOU SHOULD BE COMFORTABLE WITH
1. - Review all grammar notes (especially capitalization, comma rules, and subject-verb agreement).
- Review editing marks.
- Review how to write titles.
2 - Be able to identify, use, define, and discuss the following literary devices and literary elements:
3. - ANNOTATE your articles. Underline or highlight key evidence, and then in the margin say what kind of evidence it is.Ex: “statistic pro” or “expert opinion con”
- Review TE/EA structure, and what belongs in Introduction and Conclusion Paragraphs.
- Remember to cite! Ex. (Text 1, 25-26) means that your quote came from Text 1, lines 25-26.
PRO TIP: RE-READ & EDIT YOUR ESSAY BEFORE YOU SUBMIT IT!!
Edit, revise, and type up that final copy of your argument essay. The final draft, rough draft, and rubric are all due to Ms. Rush in class on Tuesday 1/17!
Draft a claim based on Jesus Colon's personal essay "Little Things are Big."
*consider theme, characterization, setting/society, literary choices, tone, etc.
Expand this claim into a well-devleoped TE/EA paragraph.
The paragraph will ONLY be accepted through Turn It In! Message me through Remind if you are having trouble accessing a computer this weekend.
1) If you've misplaced the handout your received in class, click here for the text to the personal essay.
2) Use the accounts we created last month on turnitin.com. If you never made an account, here's your information:
B BLOCK - 14116111 ela9b2016
C BLOCK - 14116113 ela9c2016
E BLOCK - 14116118 ela9e2016
HSPS English Department
Proudly Presents Our…
POETRY OUT LOUD!!!
(You’re invited. So is your family.)
Thursday, January 5
5pm – 7pm @ Outpost Café
1014 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY 11238
Based on our in-class workshop today, be sure to add a conclusion paragraph to the position paper rough draft you worked on over the break. At this point you should already have an introduction that includes a strong thesis, and three TE/EA structure body paragraphs... now wrap it all up and leave your reader thinking! Completed essay draft collected in class 1/4.
DO conclude an essay with one or more of the following:
… DO NOT:
9th Grade Foundations
This class serves as a gateway course to our choice-based English Language Arts curriculum! It is a foundational course which will ensure the readiness of your reading and writing skills to support your learning throughout the rest of your high school career.